Dal vada, also known as Parippu vada is the hugely popular tea time snack/street food from Kerela. This is my grandmother's recipe and this is as authentic as it gets! Try it with coconut chutney.
What you'll need..
- 1 Cup toor dal (Split pigeon peas)
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- 1/4 Tsp hing (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak the dal in water for about 6-8 hours.
- Then drain the water and coarse grind the dal along with chilli powder. While grinding the dal, use as little water as possible. The batter for the vada should be dry and not watery.
- Place the coarsely ground dal in a bowl and add onion, green chilli, cilantro, ginger, curry leaves, hing and salt to it. Mix well.
- Heat oil for frying in a non stick pan. Once the oil is hot, form flat, round patties with the batter using your hands and then drop them carefully into the oil. Fry them in batches, few at a time and serve hot with coconut chutney.
Follow/Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DiningWithTheChanders